Monday, 6 July 2009

'Blog' blog

I now have a blog over on the families section of the MENCAP website.



It’s all about growing up with a disabled sibling.

The first instalment went up today and there are 6 more entries to follow that will be added over the course of the month.

Do check out all the other blogs in the section. They give a real insight into living with disability, something that isn’t often documented.

And while we’re on the subject of disability, I need a favour.

Mencap is holding an event in Parliament with Phil Hope MP, the Government Minister for Care Services, to talk about the future of support for people with a learning disability.

Government funding of vital services is failing to keep up with rapidly increasing demand and the most basic help (for people to get dressed or washed) is being taken away.

It is crucial that as many MPs as possible come to speak up for people with a learning disability so please invite your MP by following this link.

The email is already drafted for you; you just need to hit send.

It will only take you a couple of seconds but could make a massive difference. Thanks!

And finally, here is a sneak preview of the front cover of the coming month’s New Humanist:



The issue will include the first set of God Trumps.

If you want to get your hands on your own pack of God Trumps, you’ll need to subscribe by following this link.

3 comments:

Sophie said...

I didn't find the mencap bit very funny. But I am looking forward to getting my God Trumps!

thesophie x

Lew Stringer said...

Hi Christina,

My Aunt had a learning disability so I understand your position (although every person is different of course). She could look after herself but couldn't read or write and needed help with various things as she easily got confused if she had to cope with anything different. She lived nearby (literally 3 mins walk away) and my Mum or I would visit every day to make sure she was ok. Despite her limitations she was happy most of her life and lived to 78. (Died three years ago.)

Lew x

Christina Martin said...

Lew - Thanks for your comment. Your aunt was lucky to have a good family around her. I'm glad she was happy. My brother is similarly supported and enjoys his life as much as is possible. I wish that were the case for more people with learning difficulties.
x